WHAT IS CHRISTIAN SCIENCE?
Christian Science is the science of Christianity – the practical application of Christian ideas to everyday life. It is both a religious teaching and a study of healing, through prayer, found in the Bible’s universal truths.
Christian Scientists believe in one, infinite God who is All and all-good. They believe that God is not distant and unknowable, but that God is all-encompassing and always present, and that each individual is loved by God, cared for by Him, and made in God’s image—spiritual, not material.
Christian Scientists believe in the Bible and in Christ Jesus as the Son of God, or promised Messiah. And they believe that Jesus’ teachings and healing work expressed scientific Christianity, or the application of the laws of God—laws which are still practical and provable today, by anyone, anywhere. Christian Scientists consider the Commandments, as well as Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, to be central to their lives and practice of Christianity.
Above all, Christian Scientists believe in the saving, healing power of God’ s love—that no one is beyond redemption, that no problem is too entrenched or overwhelming to be addressed and healed. In other words, Christian Scientists don’t believe that salvation occurs at some point in the future, but that the presence of God’s goodness can be experienced here and now—and by everyone.
TENETS OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE
Christian Scientists do not have any religious creed, if by that term is meant doctrinal beliefs. The following is a brief exposition of the important points, or religious tenets, of Christian Science:
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
OTHER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Christian Science is the same as Scientology, right?
No. Other then the similarity in name, the two have nothing in common.
Why is it called Christian Science?
It’s Science because it’s based upon a set of spiritual principles that can be applied with expected, and consistent results.
Why do you call yourselves Christian?
Because Christian Science is based on the Bible, and Christian Scientists follow the teachings and ministry of Christ Jesus.
Is Christian Science a cult?
No.There is no brainwashing, mind control, or blind following of a leader. Christian Scientists have a deep respect and appreciation for the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, but they do not worship her.
Is it true that Christian Scientists don’t take medication?
Generally, a Christian Scientist’s first choice is to rely on prayer for healing, and in most cases, this means that a medical remedy is unnecessary. Parents who choose Christian Science treatment for their child do so because they’ve seen the effectiveness of this treatment in their own lives.
There is no church mandate to forgo medical intervention, nor do Christian Scientists believe that it’s God’s will that anyone suffer or die. Christian Scientists care about their communities and gladly abide by city and provincial laws regarding quarantines, vaccinations, etc.
What is the Christian Science view of God?
All the answers are within the Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, but as an example, Christian Scientists will refer to God as Father-Mother, as divine Love, or as infinite Mind.
Is Christian Science the same as positive thinking?
No. Positive thinking relies on the human mind to affect a good result. Christian Science starts with God and the conviction that God’s goodness embraces us all of the time.
Is Christian Science faith healing?
No. Christian Science does not involve pleading with God to heal the sick and then accepting His will, good or bad. His will for each individual is always health and life.